[Previous entry: "I bought a fire engine!"] [Main Index] [Next entry: "Late Breaking News"]
12/12/2003 Entry: "Friday Five"
1. Do you enjoy the cold weather and snow for the holidays? Yes, I do. Particularly the snow. Snow I like. Cold I don't like. So snow at 30 degrees is cool. Snow at 0 degrees and wind blowing a gale is not cool.
2. What is your ideal holiday celebration? How, where, with whom would you celebrate to make things perfect? What I do right now is perfect. I wouldn't change much. Things I would change? Uncle Ade's egg-nog should be available more often than just Christmas Eve. And, if I were running the show, Christmas dinner would be ham. (In an effort to get the major roasted meat groups accounted, I would serve roast beef New Year's Day, lamb at Easter, turkey at Thanksgiving, and ham at Christmas. Wait... What about pork roast? Pork roast on 4th of July.)
3. Do you do have any holiday traditions? Um, yeah. On Christmas Eve, we have presents at my Grandmother's (Ma's) house. Christmas mornings are now at my house, and Sue's parents come here. At lunch, we go to my folks, and the open their presents in the afternoon. And, every Christmas Eve, after we get home from Ma's, we follow along in the book to a reading of The Polar Express.
4. Do you do anything to help the needy? The Batty household helps in ways most people don't see. We've been supporting a child in Thailand for over a year now, and there are special things that go along with that at the holiday season. Also, Susan filled a shoe box full of toys that went to somewhere... Honduras, I think. And we support several missionaries all year round--not just at Christmas.
5. What one gift would you like for yourself? Waxing philosophically? A healthy child. Carnally? A Tama rosewood snare drum, or a 1929 Ahrens Fox.